Mz Manners

You won't get this kind of advice from your mom and grandma.

Monday, February 06, 2006

South Slope or Sunset Park?


I am outraged by rude and insensitive real estate agents and brokers re-naming neighborhoods in Brooklyn to lure folks into the borough. If potential Brooklyn dwellers don't like the name of their new neighborhood, they can move to Queens!

How does this happen? I didn’t vote to change the name of my neighborhood to Greenwood Heights, South Slope. I live in Sunset Park.

This is not only an etiquette question but a question of democracy!

Makes Me Want to Hollah!




Dear Makes Me Want to Hollah:

Don’t worry, I’m sure Queens is next. We're about to start seeing listings for places in East Long Island City any day now. But you are correct, the changing of names of neighborhoods in Brooklyn is a travesty. All I can say is, thank God this isn’t happening as much in Manhattan (where the cool people live).


I would suggested contacting the elected officials that represent your neighborhood to see if they did, in fact, vote for the name change. If they did, find out who voted "yay," write them a nasty letter and never vote for them again! You should also get some sort of rally going. Gather together your fellow neighbors who are as outraged as you are and start picketing your local politicians’ offices. Or real estate offices, whoever is responsible for this ridiculousness. That’ll show ‘em!

Make sure to keep us updated as to your progress!

Love,
Mz Manners

7 Comments:

  • At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Hollah Back said…

    You know Mz Manners? You give excellent advice. I'm going to email Marty Markowitz, and others and do the very thing that you said. Then I'm going to actually attend a community board meeting. I guess 4 years in a spot entitles me to some rights.

    Thanks Mz Manners. Each and every one of us can ensure that democracy works!

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Brooklyn Rulz said…

    I take offense to the fact that you said that the cool people live in Manhattan. I thought you weren't as shallow as all that, Mz Manners.

    I would be willing to personally take you on a tour of Brooklyn to emancipate yourself from your ignorance. Clearly, you don't know everything.

    Your metrocard is on me.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm a representative of the Picket Fence Protection League.

    Consider this post a formal complaint of your blog's insensitivity to the plight of the picket fence.

    Consider the widespread use of concertina wire, chain link, and other less attractive fencing available on the market today. Imagine if those cheap, but ugly fences were replaced with beautiful brightly painted wooden picket fences. New York City would be that much more beautiful.

    Please remove that awful cartoon.

    Thanks.

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Mz Manners said…

    Dear Brooklyn Rulz,

    Sorry to offend, but I figured sinced hollah back insulted Queens it would be okay for me to slight Brooklyn. All in good fun, BR, all in good fun. Brooklyn is awesome! I don't even need a tour.

    Your friend,
    Mz Manners

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Blogger Mz Manners said…

    Dear Anonymous,

    Thank you for your opinion and your defense of picket fences. I am sure you will understand that my first amendment rights allow me to keep up the picture.

    Thanks for visiting! Come back soon.

    Love,
    Mz Manners

     
  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Mz Manners said…

    Dear Hollah Back,

    Good for you! Let us know what Marty has to say.


    Love,
    Mz Manners

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cool people live in manhattan. Cooler people live in Brooklyn.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home